Monday, January 11, 2010

Defining 'high value coupon'

Off and on I use the term "high value coupon" and I want to let you know what I mean by that. For me, a "high value coupon" is a coupon worth at least 20% of the item's cost (or 10% if the coupon can be doubled). A 25-cent coupon off of 2 packages or 1 large package of Cottonelle bath tissue is not a high-value coupon because at the store where I shop those large packages are typically at least $8. Sometimes it also depends on what you like to buy. A 25-cent coupon off of 4 cans of Campbell's condensed soups is not, to me, a high-value coupon because 1) I don't use enough to warrant buying 4 cans very often 2) these soups almost never go on sale and when they do it's like 19 cents off the regular price and 3) the coupons are almost never good on the cream soups, which are the only ones I buy because I like them for recipes.
BUT, a 25-cent coupon off of Daisy sour cream is a high-value coupon, because the item will occasionally go on sale for $1 per container, and after the coupon is doubled, you've saved 50% off of the sale price and more like 80% off of retail.

No comments:

Post a Comment