Monday, November 16, 2009

Monday 11/16/09: Know what's a sale

Off the top of my head, the stores that make a whole lot of money on this type of gimmick are Hobby Lobby and Kohl's. Their "regular retail" price is outrageous, but any given week almost everything in the store is 33-50% "off". And just to make you really think you're getting a deal, every so often it's actually full price. Part of smart shopping is knowing what a real sale is, and knowing what a good price is, not necessarily believing what the store is telling you. They're playing off of research that says people will buy things "on sale" no matter what the price, just because it's a "sale."
At the grocery store, my best example of this is Tyson Anytizers. My husband and I like to use the boneless buffalo wings to make buffalo chicken salad, so we occasionally buy them, and I can tell you I have never seen them NOT "on sale." My coupon gets me a good price, but I'm not fooled--I know I'm not really saving as much as Kroger says I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment