Monday, November 30, 2009

Monday 11/30/09: An example of getting something for 'free'

Whenever I pull off an amazing deal, I'll post in on here as sort of a case study in how to stumble on or plan a great buy. Friday we were on the road to visit relatives and I needed to get Bonine (an anti-motion sickness medicine) so I could grade papers (I'm a teacher) in the car. So we stopped at Walgreens. It also happened that I'd forgotten my deoderant on the trip. I thought, well, I have some deoderant coupons, and I like to have a backup for when the other runs out because I hate running out of deoderant. So I stopped by the deoderant and was reminded by the sale tags that the new Dove Ultimate was priced at $3.99 with a $4 Register Reward. I have written about being careful with Register Rewards, but there are times when they do work well. I picked it up and went and got the Walgreens version of Bonine, which is about $6 a pack. So since what I really needed was more than the Register Rewards, this is how it worked: I took them both to the register, and said I wanted to pay for them separately. I bought the deoderant for $4.26 (tax) and received a coupon for $4 off my "next purchase." Then she scanned the medicine, I handed her the coupon, and I paid my $2 left over. So I got what I had gone in for, which I would have bought regardless of the price, and got Dove deoderant for $0.26.
(Incidentally, it would've been better if I'd had a coupon for Dove, but all I had was Secret and Suave.)

No comments:

Post a Comment