Monday, November 9, 2009

Monday 11/9/09: Beware of Extra Bucks & Register Rewards

Or, how Rite-Aid beats Walgreens and CVS.

Don't get me wrong, I love Walgreens. I think it's my brand loyalty. I get this warm fuzzy feeling when I go in. But Walgreens and CVS each have this 'rewards' program where you buy a certain amount of stuff and get "money" to spend on your next purchase. But lately I've seen two news stories, like this one, where women have claimed that by using these rewards (and similar ones at grocery stores) you can get stuff for 'free.' Not true. These programs, like anything else, are designed to get you to spend money and think you're getting stuff for free. In fact, CVS will tell you in their ad "$5.95-$5.95 in Extra Bucks, like getting it for free!"

Not true. The fact is that you paid $6 (plus tax) for whatever it is you bought, and IF you use it immediately (recommended) or come back before the ECB or RR expire, you'll get that much off your next purchase. Which means you didn't get anything for free, you paid $3 for each thing. Now, if you really need all the things you bought, then this is a good deal. My experience, though, is that these rewards are on things I don't need or want in the amount offered, or that there isn't enough more that I need that I can spend them on within the allotted time. I don't need $25 worth of Garnier products, but that's how much they want me to spend in order to get $5 in ECB. So I'm not getting $5 off, I'm spending $20 on stuff I don't need.

Rite-Aid is better because their offer is an actual rebate. The only thing is you need to be sure to file it, as soon as you get home. This way, I get the money back usually before I even have to pay for the stuff on my credit card. That's how last month Rite-Aid paid me $1 for a tube of toothpaste. They had a rebate for the entire amount, and I had a $1 coupon. Also I got 3 packages of Huggies, normally $11 each, for $5 TOTAL. Huggies offered a $10 rebate, I had $9 in coupons, and Rite-Aid had their Fall Gift of Savings program (and accidentally sent me two $5 rebates).

Shop rebates before ECB or RR, and if you do use the ECB and RR, make sure that BOTH purchases are items you'll actually use, combine with manufacturer's coupons (this is allowed!), and use the rewards immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment