Friday, December 11, 2009

Friday 12/11/09: It's a myth: "Buying bulk is cheaper"

Almost anyone will tell you that it's cheaper to buy in bulk. That is, after all, the thought behind "Value Packs" and Sam's Club and Costco, right? Well, it's not always true. Make sure you're scouting sales and figuring out the cost per item or unit.
Even cheapskates like me have certain things they just won't buy the cheapest version of. One of mine is hot dogs. I will only eat Hebrew National hot dogs. Another is pancake syrup. In our house Saturday morning is Pancake Day. I can't bring myself to buy that cheap syrup that is basically pure sugar with artificial flavorings and tastes like it. I want the pure maple syrup. Yes, I'm aware it's several dollars a bottle, but it's just that good, and we don't go through that much of it. I do buy the store brand, though. Would you believe that the larger size of Kroger pure maple syrup is more expensive per ounce than the smaller size, and has been since I've been buying it. So, I always by the smaller size.
Another example is soda. My husband loves to drink Mt. Dew. The cheapest place to get it, usually, is at Sam's. But occasionally Kroger will run it on sale, plus a buy-three/four/whatever-get-$$-off, and it turns out to be significantly cheaper than Sam's.
Just be sure you're looking to see how much it costs per item or per unit of measure to make sure you're getting a good deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment