Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sunday 12/20/09: Beware coupons for multiple items

I'm on vacation so I've missed a few days but I'm going to take a minute now to schedule some posts to appear automatically so hopefully that won't happen too much while I'm on vacation.

Today's tip is to choose carefully whether to use a coupon for multiple items. I saw a coupon a couple of weeks ago that was for something like if you bought two of these boxes of cereal, plus this drink, plus this movie, you'll get $5 back. Also, in our paper I frequently see coupons for peanut butter + jelly, or pancake mix + syrup, or canned milk + baking item, and I rarely clip them. Think of all the factors that have to come together to make them useful: both brands have to be on sale or cheap enough to be a comparable price to other brands, the coupon needs to be a high enough value, and you have to actually need and be willing to use all the items on the coupon. This doesn't happen enough for me. Once I did need pancake mix and canned milk, and both were on sale, so I saved a small percentage per item, but that's pretty rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment